Canadian Mining Journal


Zinc and Lead


  • News

    COPPER: Ivanhoe to raise $100M+ for two projects in DRC

    September 23, 2013 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO – Under the leadership of executive chairman Robert Friedland, Ivanhoe Mines (formerly Ivanplats) of Vancouver has arranged a non-brokered, private placement that will raise $100 million or more. The company…

  • News

    Dundee impresses with maiden estimate at Kapan

    September 3, 2013 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    Dundee Precious Metals (TSX: DPM) released its much anticipated maiden resource estimate for the Shahumyan deposit at its Kapan mine in Armenia, and the market likes what it sees.

  • News

    ZINC-COPPER: More mineralization at McLeod Deep and Bracemac KT

    July 31, 2013 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    QUEBEC – Drilling at the Bracemac-McLeod project hear Matagami has extended two mineralized zones, says 35% joint venture partner Donner Metals of Montreal. (Glencore Xstrata holds the remaining 65%). Results include the extension of…

  • News

    ZINC-LEAD: Prairie Creek edges closer to production

    July 8, 2013 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    NORTHWEST TERRITORIES – The Mackenzie Valley Land and Water Board has recommended to the federal government that the Prairie Creek zinc-lead project be given the key Type A water licence. The water licence, when approved and signed by the…

  • News

    ZINC-LEAD: Wolfden assays bonanza grades from boulder train at Armstrong Brook

    July 8, 2013 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    NEW BRUNSWICK – Wolfden Resources Corp. of Thunder Bay, ON, is tracing a high grade base metal boulder train through its Armstrong Brook property in the Bathurst Mining Camp.

  • News

    SILVER: Treasure Mountain operations suspended

    June 26, 2013 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    BRITISH COLUMBIA – Vancouver-based Huldra Silver has put its Treasure Mountain silver-zinc mine and Merritt mill on care and maintenance due to “market factors.” The company said it does not have the funds to both continue mining and…

  • News

    SILVER: Huldra advances mill maintenance

    June 24, 2013 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    BRITISH COLUMBIA – Huldra Silver of Vancouver temporarily suspended milling at its operations in Merritt a few days before a planned maintenance period was to start. The cost saving procedures included the layoff of certain construction…

  • News

    Canadian Zinc two permits closer to production

    June 24, 2013 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    Canadian Zinc (CZN-T) continues to progress down the road to production at its Prairie Creek mine in the Northwest Territories.

  • News

    BASE METALS: PEA for Murray Brook is positive

    June 5, 2013 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    NEW BRUNSWICK – El Nino Ventures of Vancouver is in possession of the preliminary economic assessment for its Murray Brook copper-lead-zinc project in the Bathurst mining camp, and the company says not only is it positive but there may be…

  • News

    SILVER-LEAD: Alexco tightens belt

    June 4, 2013 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    YUKON – Due to the relatively low price of zinc and silver, Alexco Resource Corp. of Vancouver has announced several belt-tightening measures including layoffs, capital projects roll-back, vendor discussions, deferral of new mine…

  • News

    ZINC-COPPER: Production begins at Bracemac-McLeod

    May 16, 2013 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    QUEBEC – Production has begun at the Bracemac-McLeod base metal mine near Matagami at an average rate of 3,000 t/d. The mine is a joint venture of Donner Metals (35%) of Vancouver and Glencore Xstrata (65% and operator).

  • News

    Glencore Xstrata boosts Hackett River; looks to get lean

    May 13, 2013 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    The recently merged Glencore Xstrata (GLEN-LSE) plans to have a leaner corporate structure but its first resource estimate shows it will still be hefty in terms of minerals in the ground. And while the new company will be predominantly guided…