Canadian Mining Journal


Imperial Oil Limited


  • News

    OIL SANDS: Kearl expansion on line ahead of schedule

    June 16, 2015 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    ALBERTA – The start-up of the Kearl oil sands expansion 70 km north of Fort McMurray is underway and ahead of schedule. Output will eventually reach 110,000 bbl/day, bringing total output up to 220,000 bbl/day. Production originally began…

  • News

    OIL SANDS: Imperial to build new research centre

    February 18, 2015 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    CALGARY – Imperial Oil will soon break ground for a research facility in southeast Calgary. This will be the new home of the company’s quest to develop the next generation of bitumen recovery technologies for safely and efficiency…

  • News

    OIL SANDS: Production begins at Kearl project

    April 29, 2013 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    ALBERTA – Imperial Oil, operator and 71% owner, says start-up is underway at the first phase of the Kearl oil sands project. ExxonMobil Canada owns the remaining 29% of the project 75 km northeast of Fort McMurray.

  • News

    TRANSPORTATION: Inching toward the Kearl oil sands project

    January 19, 2012 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    When I saw an item about the difficulty of moving large industrial loads from Idaho through Montana to Canada, it was the word “Idaho” that caught my eye. Then the word “Kearl” as in Imperial Oil’s oil sands development near Fort McMurray, AB….

  • Feature

    Strict Rules

    April 1, 2011 by Canadian Mining Journal Editor

    Suncor Energy Inc. has announced significant inroads with its Tailings Reduction Operations solution, while Syncrude Canada Ltd. has been testing centrifuge technology as one potential saviour. Smaller companies, such as Solid Environmental…