Canadian Mining Journal

News

COPPER-GOLD DEVELOPMENT: Goldcorp halts work at El Morro

CHILE – The Supreme Court of Chile has suspended the environmental permit for the El Morro copper-gold development in Chile, forcing all work to stop. The original permit, issued in March 2011, has been suspended until certain...



CHILE – The Supreme Court of Chile has suspended the environmental permit for the El Morro copper-gold development in Chile, forcing all work to stop. The original permit, issued in March 2011, has been suspended until certain deficiencies are corrected by the Chilean environmental permitting authority.

The project will be Goldcorp’s re-entry into the country.  Vancouver-based Goldcorp is the operator and 70% owner; the remaining 30% belongs to New Gold, also of Vancouver. Although work has been suspended, safety and security staff at the site will remain active to protect the public, project equipment and facilities under construction, said Goldcorp.

Construction of the El Morrow mine and plant is to begin in September 2012 and continue over a five-year period at a capital cost of $3.9 billion. Initial production is expected in 2017 with full production the following year.

Additional information is available on Goldcorp.com.