Canadian Mining Journal

News

COPPER-GOLD: KGHM’s Ajax mine fails to gain environmental nod



A new copper-gold producer near Kamloops remains a pipe dream for now. (Image: KGHM Ajax Mining)

BRITISH COLUMBIA – The provincial government has refused to issue an environmental certificate for the proposed Ajax copper-gold mine near Kamloops. The operator and 80% owner is Polish miner KGHM Polska Miedz, and the remaining 20% of the joint venture belongs to Abacus Mining and Exploration of Vancouver.

The mine site is located about 10 km southwest of Kamloops on the traditional territories of the Stk’emlupsemc te Secwépemc Nation (SSN), Ashcroft Indian Band, Lower Nicola Indian Band and Whispering Pines/Clinton Indian Band. The bands argued that a mine would have unacceptable negative effects on their use of their lands.

The Kamloops city council also officially opposes the mine on the grounds that it is too close to the town.

The proposal now goes back to the federal government. Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Natural Resources Canada may ask cabinet to make a final decision. Even if cabinet overturned the B.C. government’s decision, the mine would still need a provincial environmental certificate to proceed.

Further information about the proposed Ajax mine is available at www.AjaxMine.ca.


Print this page

Related Posts



1 Comment » for COPPER-GOLD: KGHM’s Ajax mine fails to gain environmental nod
  1. Jim says:

    How about approving an oil refinery to offset the lost economic opportunity from the Ajax mine decision.

Have your say:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*