NEWFOUNDLAND — Canada Fluorspar of Toronto has filed the environmental assessment (EA) report on the proposed reopening of the St. Lawrence mine on the Burn Peninsula with both the provincial and federal governments. Filing the report triggered a 35-day public review period followed by a 45-day period during which the Department of Environment and Conservation of the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador and the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency will review the report and, hopefully, accept it.
Canada Fluorspar intends to reopen the underground workings of the previously mined Tarefare and Blue Beach North veins. Upgrades will be made to the existing mill, and a new tailings management facility (TMF) will be designed and built. A new marine terminal is also on the drawing board.
The presence of fluorite deposits near the current site were noted as early as the 17th century. Work during the 1920s and 1930s revealed numerous fluorite veins in the St. Lawrence area. Commercial mining began in 1933 under various owners, but Alcan purchased the mine and produced metallurgical grade ore by heavy media separation until 1978. St Lawrence Fluorspar, a British company, operated the mine from 1986 to 1990, when the mine and mill were closed.
According to the 43-101 report prepared in April 2009 by Scott Wilson Mining, the St. Lawrence area hosts over 40 fluorspar veins within granitic rocks of Carboniferous age. Only three veins – the Blue Beach North, Tarefare and Director – have been mined in the past. Resources listed in the report include a total of 9.09 million tonnes of indicated material at 42.0% CaF2 and 950,000 tonnes of inferred material at 31.1% CaF2.
Highly detailed information is posted at www.CanadaFluorspar.com. Click on Projects.