Canadian Mining Journal

News

VANADIUM EXPLORATION: Good grades drilled in Abitibi region

QUEBEC - Freewest Resources of Montreal has drilled an occurrence of near-surface vanadium oxide mineralization at ...


QUEBECFreewest Resources of Montreal has drilled an occurrence of near-surface vanadium oxide mineralization at its Dalhousie Mountain property 60 km southeast of Matagami. Core assayed 0.58% V2O5 over 30.53 metres, 0.67% V2O5 over 12.94 metres and 0.64% V2O5 over 24.00 metres.

 

Previous work done on the property by Freewest identified an area of vanadium mineralization approximately 1.8 km by 0.3 km with intermittent outcrops. The best assay so far was 1.27% V2O5 from a blasted sample of an outcrop. The company reports that grid work exposed iron oxide mineralization containing vanadium as well as associated chalcopyrite and pyrrhotite hosted within gabbroic and pyroxenitic rocks. Bulldozer stripping and a ground magnetic survey have been completed.

 

Vanadium is a strategic metal used mainly in the production of high-quality metal alloys. Added to steel, ferrovanadium produces high-strength steel suitable for natural gas pipelines, surgical instruments, jet engines and construction. About 90% of the vanadium mined is used in alloys. The remaining 10% is used as an additive and catalyst in the chemical industry or used as in alloys of titanium in the aerospace industry. Almost all of the world’s vanadium production comes from South Africa, China and Russia.

 

A map of the Dalhousie Mountain property and drill hole locations is available at www.Freewest.com.


Print this page

Related Posts



Have your say:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*