TORONTO – Mining companies were celebrated the evening of Nov. 21 for their investments in renewable energy at an awards gala and dinner in Toronto. Mining companies from Canada, Chile, Mexico, Australia, and South Africa received awards for their investments in wind and solar technologies at the Energy and Mines Renewables and Mining Awards.
Awards were presented in 12 categories and winners were selected through a combination of independent research, a nominations process and international jury consideration. Over 150 senior mining and renewable energy experts attended the awards gala which was sponsored by the Carbon War Room and Canada Clean Fuels.
The 2016 winners are:
- Best use of Energy Storage (Electrical) at a Mine Site: Glencore, Raglan nickel-copper mine
- Best use of Renewables for Mine Transportation (sponsored by Canada Clean Fuels): Kirkland Lake Gold
- Renewables in Mining – Visionary of the Year (sponsored by Carbon War Room): Nick Holland, CEO, Gold Fields
- Best use of Renewables at a Reclaimed Mine site: Teck Resources
- Best use of Renewables for Mine Exploration: Avalon Advanced Materials
- Best use of Solar Thermal: Codelco
- Best use of Solar PV in Mining > 100 MW: Antofagasta Minerals
- Best use of Solar PV in Mining < 100 MW: IamGold
- Best use of Wind in Mining > 100 MW: Industrias Peñoles
- Best use of Wind in Mining > 50 MW and < 100 MW: Grupo Mexico
- Best use of Wind in Mining < 50 MW: Rio Tinto, Diavik diamond mine
- Renewables in Mining – Project of the Year: Sandfire Resources
- Outstanding Commitment to Renewables in Mining: Barrick Gold
For more information on the Congress and awards visit www.WorldCongress.EnergyAndMines.com.