ONTARIO - An early test of the negotiating skills of the new owners of Sudburys nickel mines has resulted in labour peace. XSTRATA NICKEL announced on Feb. 28 that members of USW LOCAL 2020, UNIT 6855, representing office, clerical and technical workers at the company's Sudbury operations, have voted 89% in favour of a new three-year collective agreement.
The new agreement expires Feb. 28, 2010, and includes the following highlights:
- a monetary offer including a wage increase of 3% in the first year, 3% in the second year and a cost of living allowance in the third year;
- a continuity allowance of $8,000 per employee;
- an agreement on shift schedules for running the pilot plant campaigns at Xstrata process support;
- a commitment to improve the effectiveness of the joint company-union contracting-out committee, by providing the union with monthly reports of contracted work;
- top up of 90% of base wages for employees on maternity leave (for up to 17 weeks).