UNITED KINGDOM – ICMM has prepared draft good practice guidance (GPG) for mining and biodiversity through its dialogue with IUCNthe World Conservation Unionand is requesting your review and comments. The document is intended for use by technical and environmental managers at mines as guidance on how to improve their performance in biodiversity conservation and management by setting out what is currently understood to constitute good practice. The document is now available for public comment with the aim of enriching its quality and relevance through input from experts and other stakeholders.
To download the document go to http://www.icmm.com/news/632gpgbio_draft.pdf.
Your comments on the document are most welcome. In revising it, ICMM plans to make every attempt to respond to suggestions for improvement. They would appreciate your views, with specific emphasis on the following:
– Factual correctness.
– Are the messages to mining companies the right ones?
– Will it assist governments in regulating the industry?
– Level of detail, remembering that the GPG will apply across all countries, mine types and commodities.
– Organization and structure of the document.
– The standard required of operations.
Please make your comments as specific as possible, identifying the place in the document where they apply. Suggestions proposing replacement text will be particularly valuable.
The website address for the International Council on Mining and Metals is at www.icmm.com.