PORT CARTIER, Quebec – QUEBEC CARTIER MINING is changing its name to ARCELORMITTAL MINES CANADA.
QCM was founded on Jan. 26, 1957, by US STEEL, and started developing iron deposits at Lac-Jeannine in Quebec in 1959. In the 1970s, the company developed deposits at Fire Lake and Mont-Wright, Que., and in 1976 was involved in establishing the partnership to form Sidbec-Normines, charged with operating a new pellet plant in Port-Cartier, Que. In April 1977, the Lac-Jeannine mine delivered its last block of iron ore, though its crusher and concentrator remained in operation until 1985 to process crude ore from Fire Lake. It was also in 1985 that the town of Gagnon, Que., shut down following an agreement between the government of Quebec and Quebec Cartier.
In 1989, US Steel sold Quebec Cartier to Canadian steel producer DOFASCO (50%), MITSUI of Japan (25%) and CAEMI of Brazil (25%). Eight years later, Mitsui sold its holdings to CAEMI. In 2003, QCM announced an agreement between its shareholders and the government of Quebec, under which Investissement Quebec acquired preferred shares and became an equal shareholder with Dofasco and CAEMI. In 2005, Dofasco bought out Investissement Quebec and CAEMI, emerging as the QCM’s sole owner. On Feb. 21, 2006, ARCELOR S.A., the world’s number one steel company, acquired over 88% of Dofasco’s common shares. Less than four months later, on June 25, Arcelor and MITTAL STEEL COMPANY NV announced the merger of their two companies to create the world’s leading steel company: ArcelorMittal.
For more information, go to www.ArcelorMittal.com/MinesCanada. There are a number of available jobs listed at the site.