Canadian Mining Journal

News

NICKEL-IRON: First Point test markets Decar concentrates

BRITISH COLUMBIA – The results of the first market test of awaruite (nickel-iron alloy) concentrates from the Decar project are positive, says First Point Minerals Corp of Vancouver. The project, located 80 km north of Fort St James, is...



BRITISH COLUMBIA – The results of the first market test of awaruite (nickel-iron alloy) concentrates from the Decar project are positive, says First Point Minerals Corp of Vancouver. The project, located 80 km north of Fort St James, is 40% owned by First Point. The remaining 60% belongs to Cliffs Natural Resources of Cleveland, OH.

Six potential customers participated in the tests, and they all indicated that the samples meet their technical criteria. Their work shows that Decar concentrate could be treated in a variety of conventional flowsheets to produce ferronickel or as direct feed for stainless steel production. Recovery of the nickel in concentrate to the final product ranged from 85% to more than 97%.

According to First Point, that the concentrates could generate in the range of 85% to 95% of the London Metal Exchange nickel price, with no credits for iron or chromite. The is a marked improvement of the 75% figure used in the preliminary economic assessment.

The Decar nickel-iron project could eventually become a bulk tonnage open pit producer. Learn more at FirstPointMinerals.com.