ALBERTA – On May 23 Suncor said the remobilization of workers to its oil sands mines and plants has begun. Operations were disrupted by devastating forest fires that struck the Fort McMurray area earlier in the month. The Regional Emergency Operations Centre finally lifted the mandatory evacuation order in the evening of May 20.
Suncor employees are currently various sites completing the pre-work needed for the safe and staged restart of all operations. In addition, Suncor continues to assess the situation, including fire risk, air quality, employee mobility, accommodations and services for employees and contractors.
The fires did no damage to Suncor assets, and the company has implemented enhanced fire mitigation work at all sites. A return of fires to the base plant area is unlikely because there is so little fuel left to support new fires. Third party pipeline and power infrastructure have been restored. The company said the lodges near the base plant to be ready to house workers within a few days.
Construction at Suncor’s Fort Hills mine ramped up during the weekend, and operations at the Syncrude site are also being restarted.
For more information about Suncor, visit www.Suncor.com/about-us/oil-sands or follow the company on Twitter @SuncorEnergy.