Canadian Mining Journal


SUSTAINABILITY: FLSmidth launches MissionZero to reduce CO2, water waste

Zijin Mining's Majdanpek copper mine in Serbia, one of FLSmidth's customers. Credit: FLSmidth

Zijin Mining’s Majdanpek copper mine in Serbia, one of FLSmidth’s customers. Credit: FLSmidth

COPENHAGEN – FLSmidth has launched a new sustainability program to help its customers in the mining and cement industries reduce their COemissions and water waste dramatically in just 10 years’ time.

The Denmark-based mining and cement equipment supplier’s MissionZero initiative will focus on technology that will facilitate zero emissions cement plants by 2030 and zero water waste in mining processes by 2030.

In cement, FLSmidth estimates that COcould be reduced by 70% by 2030 using already existing technologies, some of which are at the early stages of development. It plans to further develop those solutions and close the remaining 30% gap by seeking partnerships with other companies and suppliers. Part of the solutions FLSmidth is developing include the use of 100% alternative fuels in cement plants, including waste-to-energy solutions.

The company has also set a goal of offering its customers solutions that support zero water waste in mining by 2030. It’s looking to build on the success of solutions such as dry-stack tailings, which can recover up to 95% of process water. In addition, FLSmidth is developing zero emissions and zero energy waste solutions for its mining customers.

For more information see

Print this page

Related Posts

Have your say:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *