The Federal Government has committed as a seminal priority for Canada, to pursuing a renewed relationship based on recognition, rights, respect, co-operation, and partnership with Indigenous people in Canada, acknowledging this as both the right thing to do and a path to economic growth.
Since February of this year, the Institute on Governance and Canadians for a New Partnership held a series of dialogues across Canada to enable nations and leaders to share their vision in an open forum to help direct this agenda forward in regards to the characteristics of a renewed relationship between Canada and Indigenous peoples.
Our work over the past year in convening Nation-to-Nation dialogues is culminating in a National Summit on November 27th and 28th, 2017 in Ottawa. This Summit is being hosted with the National Arts Centre, which combines our work with their initiative to contribute to a renewed relationship by creating a permanent home for Indigenous culture and art to grow and thrive.
Our ambitious agenda includes:
· National Chief Perry Bellegarde, Assembly of First Nations
· Natan Obed, President, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami
· Clément Chartier, President, Métis National Council
· The Honourable Carolyn Bennett, PC, MP, Minister of Crown Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs
· The Honourable Jane Philpot, PC, MP, Minister of Indigenous Services
· The Honourable Murray Sinclair, Canadian Senator for Manitoba, Chair of the Indian Residential Schools Truth and Reconciliation Commission
· The Right Honourable Joe Clark, PC CC AOE, Canada’s 16th Prime Minister
· The Right Honourable Paul Martin, PC CC, Canada’s 21st Prime Minister
· The Honourable Frank Iacobucci, CC, QC, LLD, LSM, former Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada
· The Honourable Bob Rae, PC, CC, OOnt QC, former Premier of Ontario
· Michael Ferguson, Auditor General of Canada
· Former National Chief Ovide Mercredi, OM
· The Honourable Gwen Boniface, COM OOnt, Member of the Standing Senate Committee on Aboriginal Peoples
· Miles G. Richardson, OC, Board Member, Canadians for a New Partnership
· Celeste Haldane, Chief Commissioner, BC Treaty Commission
And Many More!--The Nation-To-Nation Summit is now sold out, but more information is available at https://iog.ca/events/national-event/. Follow the discussion on twitter and Facebook @IOGca.